Brief Outline of Recent Casesanimalexpert
- Opinion sought on whether horse’s behaviour, or rider’s competency or show organisers’ facilities and staff were contributory to an injury to a show rider.
- Opinion sought when a rider had a fall while “trying out” a horse before making purchase decision.
- Opinion sought in matter where one jockey was suing another jockey for negligent riding resulting in a race fall.
- Case in which horse escaped from agistment property and caused a motor vehicle accident. Opinion sought on whether fencing and containment system to prevent horses escaping off the property was adequate.
- Opinion sought on interpretation of pathology results.
- Assessment of lost earning capacity for professional rider and riding instructor injured in one day event.
- Opinion on whether horse should have been allowed to race following medical examination.
- Opinion sought on whether horse’s behaviour, rider’s competency or construction of cross-country fence were contributors to an injury to a rider who fell at a one-day event.
- Dispute over frozen semen straws accidentally thawed and subsequent loss of income by owner of straws.
- Valuation requested on a riding horse which had some years beforehand been injured in a motor vehicle accident.
- Opinion and valuation on a horse which got out of its paddock and was injured.
- Opinion sought on case of severe weight loss and suspected poisoning in beef cattle.
- Opinion on a case where there was injury by a bull to a member of the public at a rodeo.
- Opinion sought on contributors to mastitis problem in a herd of dairy cattle and associated economic loss where a farmer had installed a new milking machine plant.
- Opinion sought in “dog bite” incident.
- Opinion sought in an issue between neighbours about barking dogs.
- Valuation on Alpacas.
- Opinion sought on safe work practices when employee was injured working with alpacas
- Valuation on a group of stud sheep, which were mistakenly picked up by a livestock carrier and slaughtered at the abattoir.
- Opinion sought when a farm worker was injured by a ram
- Opinion sought on the safety for veterinary staff of the establishment of a go kart racing track next to an already existing equine veterinary clinic
- Opinion sought on an unfair dismissal case where an employed veterinary surgeon was “fired” by her employer
- Negligence claim against a veterinary surgeon when a mare aborted twins
- opinion sought re liability issues when a veterinary surgeon became ill following exposure to a horse with hendra virus